Kitchari (Kichada) FALL SEASON
Kitchari is versatile, you can flavor it to suit your constitution or the season.
This sample recipe is just a starting point for your own creativity. Eating this simple diet for periods of time gives your digestive system a rest. The basic ingredients for all kitchari are white basmati rice and split mung beans which form a complete protein and are easily digested. Add seasonal or constitutional spicing and fresh vegetable for a cleansing and refreshing restart to your digestion.
1 cup white basmati rice
1 cup split mung dahl (rinsed thoroughly)
4-5 cups water depending on how soupy you want it to be
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp asofoetida (hing)
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
your choice of seasonal vegetables ie. zucchini, squash, scallions, sweet potatoeadd coconut milk and cilantro to taste if you like at the end
1. Wash beens and rice then set aside, you can also soak them overnight for shorter cooking times and easier digestion.
2. Heat the ghee and add the spices for a few minutes
3. Add rice and beans for a few minutes.
4. Add water and bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes
5. Prepare vegetables and add to the mixture in the last 5 or 10 minutes depending on the vegetable and how long it needs to cook.
Be creative, you cannot do this wrong! (I like double the ginger & coriander - experiment !)